Seco Materials Group (SMG v2)
The SMG v2 is a quick, easy and comprehensive reference guide for workpiece materials and their corresponding cutting data. It presents its extensive materials coverage in a clear and logical structure, making the search for specific cutting data effortless and helping users optimize their metalcutting operations.
SMG v2 Overview
- Created with the knowledge and expertise needed to understand complicated interactions between the cutting tool and workpiece in machining operations
- Simplified, understandable cutting data chart format runs common across all Seco product catalogs
- Precise workpiece material categorization based on types, capabilities and characteristics rather than relative levels of machinability
- New data display format makes charts applicable to all tool types and includes cutting tool recommendations
- Information contained in SMG v2 is applied consistently across all Seco support materials
Range of Materials
- Encompasses advanced tool materials such as PCBN, PCD and ceramics
- Wide range of workpiece material classifications for steels, cast irons, non-ferrous, super alloys, titaniums and other hard / difficult materials, as well as plastics, composites and graphite
- Color-coordinated groups indicate ISO classification and fine-tuned SMG subsections
- Comprehensive cross-reference list indicates where a material may appear in different SMG groups due to how the material has been processed – e.g. annealed, quenched and tempered for through hardening, etc.
Each SMG category includes details on reference material that users can use to determine whether the cutting data should be adapted for their specific application.
Discover the material groups
Tips on how to machine Nickel-based Alloys | Seco tools
PROCESS OPTIMIZATION STARTS WITH CAM
What is K material group?
What is S material group?
ISO Application standardization
ENGINEERE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
What is P material group?
What is M material group?
What is H material group?
What is N material group?